Odem Bands – Week of 6/8/2020
I hope this message finds you well! This week UIL has made it possible for us to begin limited rehearsals. Our first priority is Color Guard, who will be meeting Monday through Wednesday this week from 9am-11am. All of those students need to make sure they read through the section below and follow those guidelines exactly. I have included a form that should be filled out and signed before/upon arrival tomorrow. Please read that section carefully for those students!
The following week, on Wednesday/Thursday June 17th/18th I would like to meet with the percussion students to determine our line placement and front ensemble. Those students should fill out this form: https://forms.gle/Jodbv5s1tFSVUQnR9
For all of our summer rehearsals we are under strict guidelines that may/may not relax later in the summer. A major UIL meeting takes place week after this one, and I believe we may receive some updated guidance then. For now we are planning on our summer dates remaining what we have sent out in the past, but will most likely have to run on a different schedule than we have for past years. With a limitation on students per grouping we will have to get creative if these restrictions remain in place. With the loss of the last two months of school, summer rehearsals will be even more imperative than they have been in the past as we prepare for our season.
- June 8-10: Color Guard Workouts/Selection
- June 17-18: Percussion Meetings/Line Selection
- July 15-17: Percussion Camp
- July 20-22: Guard/Percussion Rehearsals
- July 27-31st: Full Band Back – Summer Band Rehearsals (All)
- July 31st: March-A-Thon
- August 19th: Meet The Band
All of the above dates for rehearsals should hold unless conditions cause more restrictions for us and athletics. August 19th Meet The Band is tentative depending on what we discover about restrictions moving forward with events as well. This week we will release our tentative 2020-2021 Calendar for the bands. I have held off releasing it this year with everything that has been going on, but wish to allow families time to plan around our events. There is no true way to plan with everything going on, so we’re just going to do the best we can with putting our traditional schedule out there and adjusting when we need to.
Graduation is this Friday, but due to restrictions the band will not perform this year. Mr. Williams and I will both be there, and we look forward to seeing our seniors graduate!
We wish this year had not ended the way it had, but it is time to look towards our future goals. We will be posting updated parts (full show) for the marching show up on Google Classroom by Tuesday. I know some students do not have access without Chromebooks, so we will try and make it possible for students to pick up hard copies as well from us.
Color Guard Information:
Monday, June 8th – Wednesday, June 10th we will hold practices in the mornings from 9am-11am at the Odem JH Band Hall. We will use that building due to the bigger space it provides. We are limited to ten students at an inside rehearsal, so it is imperative that students complete the Google Form here: https://forms.gle/gwe95bnF8UWpBKBN8 Depending on the numbers of students we may split the group into two times within that block or move outside where we are allowed a few more students at a rehearsal. Please register on that form by Thursday of this week!
Summer Odem Bands Safety Rules
(Please Note These are Mostly UIL Rules/Guidance for this Summer)
- Students need to have this form completed when they arrive. (We will have a few extras)
- Cloth masks should be worn when arriving, and when not working out. This is especially necessary during the temperature check process.
- Upon arrival students will have their temperature checked one at a time and be screened for COVID-19 symptoms. Any student with a fever must immediately go home. We will begin at 8:45am with bringing students in one at a time.
- At all times students must be a minimum of 6 feet apart from one another. When actively working on routine/workouts students must maintain 10 feet of distance!
- Come dressed in appropriate clothing that you can move and stretch well in.
- Bring a water jug filled with water from home – YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO USE WATER FOUNTAINS.
- There can be NO SHARED food or water.
- Restrooms must be restricted for emergency use only due to sanitization requirements. Only one student should enter at a time.
- When students complete their practices, they should return home and immediate change/shower.
This is an unusual year and we are doing our best to adjust/prepare for our upcoming season. If for some reason there are any concerns or issues with these dates please feel free to contact Mr. Rash via email or Remind. We ask that all interested students join the guard remind by texting the number 81010 the message @ohscg2020 . We have also created a Google Classroom that can be accessed with code iuqtzws . Thanks for your interest, and we look forward to having you all back for this next week!
We hope everyone enjoys their summer and stays healthy! We look forward to seeing you all again soon! Congratulations again to our seniors!!!!!!